What are the different types of home cooling systems?
Cooling your home can be a challenge here in the Northeastern US (as we have seen so far this summer). The question is, what is the best way to meet that challenge with a cooling system for your Pennsylvania home?
Here are the three most common home cooling system options, and the pros and cons of each:
- Room air conditioner – A room air conditioner (a window or portable unit) provides spot cooling for a single room.
- Least expensive up-front cost
- Flexible placement
- Poor installation can lead to excessive air leakage and diminished performance
- Generally less efficient than central A/C or ductless systems
- Can be loud and light-blocking
- Window units cannot be used in rooms with no window
- Will not last as long (10-12 years) as a central A/C or ductless system
- Will provide the most even cooling throughout the home
- Can be cost-effective if ductwork is already installed
- Quiet, convenient to operate and more efficient than window units
- Typically has the longest lifespan of the three cooling system options (can be 15+ years with proper air conditioning maintenance)
- Expensive to install without existing ductwork
- If ducts are poorly maintained, they can be a source of air quality problems
- Highly efficient (typically more efficient than central A/C because no cool air is lost via ductwork leaks)
- Ability to use multiple air handlers from a single compressor enables efficient zoned operation
- Quieter than a window air conditioner, with no blocked windows
- Flexible placement (can be used even in rooms with no windows)
- Can be an affordable alternative to installing a ducted system
- Can be used as a supplemental cooling source for home additions
- Some mini-split systems can provide cooling and heating
- Can be more expensive than a central A/C in homes that already have ductwork
- Not practical for single-room use
- May require more vigilant care /cleaning than a central A/C unit
- Some may not like the aesthetic of air handlers
Need help deciding which home air conditioning equipment option is right for you? Contact the cooling pros at Walton for a FREE, no obligation home assessment and estimate today!