Investing in a new A/C or heat pump for your Montgomery County home can be a good thing — especially if your current equipment is more than 10 years old. But you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get better performance from your home cooling system.
Here are 8 ways to get the most from your A/C as summer approaches:
- Keep your filter clean – Replace disposable filters it at least once a month in the summer, and clean other types of filters monthly keep airflow moving. If you’re a smoker or have pets, you may need to clean or replace your filters more often.
- Keep the compressor clear – If you have a central air system with an outdoor compressor, clear away plants, leaves, dead branches, and other debris that accumulated during the winter and spring. Try to keep a clear space of about two feet surrounding the unit.
- Use a programmable thermostat – A programmable thermostat let’s you control your A/C when you’re not home. Raising the temperature just a few degrees can save you hundreds of dollars every year and reduce wear and tear on your equipment.
- Supplement A/C with ceiling fans – With ceiling fans, you can set your thermostat 3-4 degrees warmer without a loss of comfort – and save money in the process.
- Use reflective window treatments – Invest in high quality window treatments that reflect light and heat to minimize the greenhouse effect in exposed rooms.
- Clear out your vents – Clear away items that block your vents. Close vents in room that don’t need cooling. If you still have issues, you might consider investing in a professional duct cleaning or duct sealing.
- Reduce heat from other appliances – Avoid using appliances that generate a lot of heat indoors. Grill and hang clothes outdoors when you can to reduce your cooling load and bills.
- Consider an upgrade – A/C efficiency has come a long way in recent years – in fact, today’s units can be twice as efficient as models that came out just a decade ago. With that kind of improvement, a new A/C can pay for itself in just a few years – especially when you consider specials.
Interested in exploring an A/C upgrade? Contact Walton for a FREE estimate today!