Summer heat has arrived here in Montgomery County and Bucks County – and with it comes summer cooling bills.
Here are seven ways to keep those bills under control this summer:
- Use a programmable thermostat – Use your programmable thermostat to run your A/C a little warmer at night and when no one is home.
- Aim for temperature difference, not a number – Don’t forget: what makes you feel cool is the difference between the temperature outside and the temperature inside – which means you can run your air conditioner a little warmer on hot days and feel just as comfortable. A 78-degree setting is a good starting point.
- Close vents in unused rooms – If you have a central air conditioning system, close vents in unused areas of your house – especially in rooms that tend to be cool anyway (your basement, for example). If you have a ductless system, take advantage of zone cooling to manage your cool air output.
- Get annual A/C service – Don’t skip annual tune-up – it will keep your A/C running at its best and avoid costly, unexpected repairs.
- Use light-reflecting window treatments – Shades and blinds can help you overcome at least some of the greenhouse effect so your A/C won’t have to overwork to keep your rooms cool.
- Run ceiling fans – Moving air feels cooler (think of a summer breeze at the beach), so you can run your A/C a little warmer without sacrificing comfort. That can save you hundreds of dollars in a cooling season.
- Upgrade your air conditioner – If your A/C is 10 years old or more, then as much as 40 percent of the money you pay to run it every month could be wasted. You can get most of that money back by installing one of today’s high efficiency air conditioners, which can achieve efficiency ratings well into the 90 percent range. With that kind of performance, your new cooling system could pay for itself in just a few years – especially when you factor in our great specials on new central air systems.
Now is a great time to upgrade your central air conditioner and save up to $1,700 on a great new Lennox home cooling system! Contact Walton today for details – including a FREE no obligation estimate!