Identifying carbon monoxide (CO) leaks can be complex because sometimes there are various causes, including:
- operating unvented appliances for long periods of time
- a heating system that’s out of adjustment or damaged
- backdrafts caused by pressure imbalances near the heating appliance
- leaving a vehicle idling in an attached garage
- running a gasoline-powered generator in a basement or attached garage
- a blocked flue
All of these situations could set off a CO detector, but conditions can change by the time a technician arrives, which makes a diagnosis difficult. Help us by sharing as much information as possible so the source of the problem can be identified correctly.