You hear yourself saying it every year, usually right around the time when you have to drag those old, heavy window air conditioners down from the attic: “There’s got to be a better way.”
The good news is you’re right: that better way is a Mitsubishi ductless split system.
But how much do you know about ductless air conditioning systems? Here are some basics to get you up to speed on this flexible, high-efficiency cooling option.
Ductless A/C 101
- A ductless split system (often called a “mini-split”) has two parts – an air handler (the indoor unit) and a condenser (the outdoor unit). A single condenser can operate up to four air handlers, creating an efficient, customizable zone cooling system in your home.
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork. This means:
- It can be installed quickly and at a lower cost than a central A/C unit;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house – from room additions to converted attics and basements;
- No windows are required, since the unit installs directly into the wall;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful mold and other microorganisms can breed; and
- You won’t loose energy through leaky ducts (a recent study showed that about 16 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key mini-split advantage is flexibility: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also use each unit’s thermostat to control the energy spent in each cooling zone.
- Unlike window A/C units, a mini-split won’t block your view; all that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your exterior wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range – a big step up from 14-15 SEER window units).
- Mini-split systems are extremely quiet – much quieter than a window air conditioner.
- The temperature in a mini-split system is set and changed via remote control.
Ready to upgrade your loud, clunky window A/Cs with the whisper quite comfort of a Mitsubishi ductless system? We can help! Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate.